Our vision is a safe, clean and happy environment to grow in for every child in Ethiopia, with access to education, health services and equal opportunities.
ECYDO strives for an equal opportunities for girls and boys and for Ethiopia without HIV/AIDS and gender-based violence. We believe that children and young people have the right to develop and live up to their potential, where nobody is forgotten aside.
ECYDO works in five focus areas:
- male engagement in HIV/AIDS prevention
- sexual and reproductive health rights promotion
- fight against gender-based violence, including female genital mutilation, early marriage and teenage pregnancy
- creation of equal opportunities and skills development
- removing barriers for disadvantaged groups in accessing education and services
- Peace, democracy and active engagement promotion
The core values of ECYDO are the following:
- Gender equity and equality: ECYDO strongly promotes gender equity and equality in its overall interventions.
- Participation: ECYDO believes in active participation of stakeholders in the overall program of the organization including designing, developing, implementing, monitoring and evaluation of projects/programs. Active participation of stakeholders also involves decision making in every aspect of the program that affects their life.
- Transparency and accountability: All programs and activities of ECYDO are performed in a very transparent way and ECYDO is accountable to each and every of its acts. Stakeholders and any interested member of the general public are entitled to question any of ECYDO’s performance and any other issues regarding the organization.
- Volunteerism: Volunteerism is the core of ECYDO’s existence. Therefore, ECYDO recognizes the contribution of its volunteers and strongly encourages volunteerisms in its intervention areas.
- Nondiscrimination: ECYDO do not discriminate anyone one because of its color, ethnic background, religion, political affiliations, sex, social status, sexual orientation and or any other forms of discrimination. However, ECYDO will not work with individuals and or organizations involved in any form of child abuse, and/ or are associated with organizations befitting from child labor, child trafficking, child abuse and other such acts.
- Integrity: ECYDO expects its staff, volunteers, beneficiaries and other partners to work with honesty and transparency.
- Quality of services: ECYDO works aggressively to provide quality information and services for children and young people. Quality is our unique trade mark. Quality of service for ECYDO is provision child/ youth friendly, well researched, participatory, standardized and sustainable information and services to its beneficiaries.
ECYDO deploys combination of the following strategies in order to achieve its goals and objectives;
- Awareness creation: through innovative and well researched strategies to create awareness on different issues including children and youth development related issues, RH/SR, HIV/AIDS and related issues
- Community sensitization and mobilization: sensitizing and mobilizing the community on children and youth development related issues, SRH, HIV/AIDS and related issues;
- Care and support: provision of care and support to address the psychosocial needs of disabled children and youth, PLWHA, OVC's and their dependents through community-based home-based care service and referral service arrangements;
- Child/Youth friendly services: ECYDO facilitates provision of quality and user-friendly services for children and young people through referral, social marketing and other appropriate services.
- Capacity building of CBOs: With the objective of empowering the community at grass roots level to design, implement and manage community-based interventions. This includes building the capacity of youth clubs/associations, women groups, Boys Groups and other CBOs;
- Strengthening and youth clubs and CBOs: to meet the needs children and young people to address economic, social and health(sexual and reproductive health issues), etc; and
- Networking and partnership: ECYDO works with others in partnership and builds networking with like-minded organizations to scale up its effort.
- Young people between 10-29 years of age;
- Adolescent girls and women
- Disabled and Vulnerable Children and youth
- Community and religious leaders;
- Community Based Organizations including Youth Clubs/Associations, Iddirs, Women Groups etc;
- Women of child bearing age particularly girls in school age
- Local and national government officials